src="http://archive.wedgiehaven.com/jscripts/general.js?ver=1807"> // -->

Question regarding rules
A question regarding the rules on the fiction section:

I'm in the process of building the background for a pretty lengthy/involved story for the fiction/mature section, and was reviewing the rules when I noticed this rule: "Content that is overtly prejudiced or derogatory toward any individual or group is prohibited."

My story is set to be relatively violent and the characters are likely to endure serious prejudice and derogatory statements, and as the rule is written it makes it out to seem like this is against the rules. My question is: is the purpose of this rule to prevent a story whose sole purpose is to, for example, bash on gay people, or is it written as this to prevent any of this sort of thing at all? I am already planning on having several warnings (with relation to violence, etc) at the beginning of my story, however I feel this rule is written in a way that makes it just confusing enough for me not to be sure if certain things are allowed. 

Since this is the suggestion section... I guess my suggestion... is to change the wording of the rule, if it needs to be?
I'm fairly certain the rule is meant to stop stuff like gay bashing or certain name calling and what not. I'm not entirely certain how it would pertain to works of fiction but I'd assume it would be enforced in a similar way in which warner brothers ( I think ) views racism in their old works.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/imag...96hbvn.jpg
[Image: large.gif]
I figured as much, I just need clarification that if fiction characters beat each other up and bash each other over, say, their sexuality, that its acceptable so long as "beating people up for being gay" isn't the over-arching message of the story. Is that the case?
that's what I'm thinking unless anyone says otherwise. But yeah don't make that seem ok and you should be ok.
[Image: large.gif]
Basically, I would treat it as a contextual thing; so long as its clear that the story doesn't think this behaviour is OK and isn't condoning or supporting it, its fine (IE, think Firefly's depiction of slavery; Slavery is present in the universe and it comes in multiple shapes and sizes, but (most of) the crew is not OK with slavery and its not treated as OK).

So long as you put in trigger warnings at the beginning just so anyone who's uncomfortable with the topic knows to stay away, I'd be fine with it.
(Wednesday, March 16th, 2016, 22:26)Feathers_McGraw Wrote: I figured as much, I just need clarification that if fiction characters beat each other up and bash each other over, say, their sexuality, that its acceptable so long as "beating people up for being gay" isn't the over-arching message of the story. Is that the case?

That is correct.
(Thursday, March 17th, 2016, 06:13)Trekboy008 Wrote:
(Wednesday, March 16th, 2016, 22:26)Feathers_McGraw Wrote: I figured as much, I just need clarification that if fiction characters beat each other up and bash each other over, say, their sexuality, that its acceptable so long as "beating people up for being gay" isn't the over-arching message of the story. Is that the case?

That is correct.

Thanks!